The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a software standard for transferring computer files between machines with different operating systems. Though you can transfer files using email, it is not a good choice, especially when the file size is large or when you need to transfer several files.
For the user who intends to use FTP occasionally, it is recommended to use an up-to-date Web Browser that is capable of uploading and downloading via FTP, such as Internet Explorer 6 for PC. For users who plan to transfer several files on a regular basis to and/or from Cummings, an FTP Client is recommended. For Login information please contact your customer service representative.
Option 1: Web Browser FTP – Windows users only
1. Start your FTP-capable Web Browser and type ftp.cummingsprinting.com into the Address Bar.
2. Enter user name and password when prompted.
3. Once you are logged in, select the file (or files) you wish to upload and drag them into the web browser window. For downloading, drag from the browser to your computer instead.
4. Wait for the progress bar to signify that the transfer is complete.
Option 2: Using an FTP client – Windows
There are several commercial or free FTP client software applications available for Mac and PC. You can use any that you would like, but here are a couple suggestions.
For PC, a simple yet effective and free FTP Client is Leech FTP, available from www.download.com.
1. Click on the Yellow Lightning Bolt in the toolbar at the top left. For “Host” enter ftp.cummingsprinting.com. Enter your username and password and then click on “OK”.
• For login information please contact your customer service representative.
2. Once logged in, your computer files are on the left and Cummings’ files are on the right.
3. Select the file (or files) you wish to upload and drag them from your computer to Cummings’ computer. For downloading, drag from the Cummings’ side to your computer instead.
4. To verify that the file transfer was successful, click on the “Refresh directory” button (two green arrows).
Option 3: Using an FTP client – MAC OSX
1. Open your FTP software. For this example RAD FTP was used. (http://www.radinks.net/ftp/free/)
2. In the host field, enter ftp.cummingsprinting.com. Type your username in the user field. Click Connect.
3. Enter your password when prompted
4. Once logged in your computer files are on the left and Cummings’ files are on the right. Navigate to the correct folder, then select the file(s) you want to send to Cummings. (For downloading, select the file(s) you wish to download from Cummings.)
5. After selecting the files to send to Cummings, click the RIGHT ARROW in the center of the application. (For downloading, click the LEFT ARROW.) A progress window of the file transfer will appear.
6. After the progress window disappears, verify the file(s) arrived by ensuring the file(s) are listed on the left (your computer) and the right (Cummings) side of the screen.