Standardized file naming is a key crucial step to error free print production. The following file naming should be used for all standard publication projects. (Replace CPC in the example below with your specific Pub Code)
- Utilize a short (two or three digit, alphabetic, upper case) identifier for your publication, ie; CPC
- Always name the first two pages as: CPC__C1.pdf and CPC__C2.pdf.
- Always name the remaining pages to match the printed page number (note: two digits for 01-99 and three digits for 100+ pages).
- Always name the last two pages (cover 3 and cover 4) using a numerical expression, just like the text pages referenced above.
- For Versioning, add _V1, _V2, etc, after the page number, ie; CPC__C1_V1.pdf.
- For correction pages, ensure the file name matches EXACTLY to the original. This will ensure the replacement will overwrite the previous page and allow the use of the Compare Feature in Smart Review.
When using InDesign 14 or higher, our document set up and export guidelines will make single page pdf named correctly during the Export Process (see links below).
InDesign Document Setup: Document Set Up Perfect Bound
InDesign Document Setup: Document Set Up Saddle Bound
InDesign PDF Export: PDF Export InDesign 14 and above